Monday, January 25, 2010

Stamina

I think that one word describes the attitude, personality, and demeanor of the Irish: Stamina. In everything they do, they give it their all and stick with it... and when I say everything and always, I mean it.

For example, just a few days after we arrived, it was evident that although I am a fast walker in the States, I'm actually rather slow in Europe. Phillip and I would walk the streets to not only have peers needing to get around us, but elderly folk as well. Its probably due to the fact that they actually walk a good portion of their time rather than driving from place to place but even still.

Everything seems like a race here.

That was especially evident when we went to Mass yesterday. Never in my life have I been to a Sunday mass that was 30 minutes flat. Fumbling over my words to say the prayers and keep up, it was quite the experience. The whole mass was at full throttle, and only the four Americans seemed to be lagging behind. The mass we went to lacked music and some structure but not humor. I think my favorite quote of the mass was the opening lines of the homily.

"Well that was the good news; now for the bad. There will be a second collection today after the Euchurist."

That is not to say that the Irish lack reverence. They seem to take religion pretty seriously here. We've yet to visit a church, at any time of the day, that did not have a handful of people praying and reflecting within. So its not to say they do it right or wrong over here, its just different.

Stamina in sports and nightlife is a big thing too. We experienced our first Rugby game at a Pub friday evening. This was no run-of-the-mill game, but a big one. Munster was playing in the Championship Series of Rugby and it was the first round. Rubgy is defintely the most intense sport I've ever watched, both in action and with the fans. The game was held in Limerick City's stadium and when it was time for important field kicks, a deafening silence fell across the city and throughout every pub; a kind a seriousness that would never be seen at home.

...and the people at the pubs are just as serious about their drinking and social life. Sure, the stereotype of the Irish is that they drink til they can't walk, but its all too true. Pubs are filled with not only college students, but an older crowd as well. We went to Dolans Saturday evening, and the youth was NOT the majority there. This pub was packed wall-to-wall with people of all ages. It was quite the sight to see.

Beyond the people, even the weather has stamina. Sure, I know that inanimate objects cannot really portray such characteristics, but seriously. We were (luckily) blessed with very beautiful, warm, and abnormal weather for our first few days. Finally when it cooled down, a thick fog lay across the city. This is not Cincinnati River Valley fog though. It began Friday night around 10pm and hung around until Sunday morning, meaning our entire Saturday was filled with wandering through the thick fog, unable to see more than 25 yards ahead of you. It certainly didn't stop us though. Saturday we went to the Milk Market in the morning for our weekly groceries, King James' Castle, The Hunt Museum (of Art), The Limerick Museum, and St. Mary's (Anglican) Cathedral. It was a full day of tourist attractions which ended with a night at the local pub famous for nightly traditional music.

It is interesting that the weather has settled to its norm. Last week was a very abnormal week for myself, and the weather spoke to that. Now that I'm settling in, starting school (although the system is completely different) and getting comfortable with my surroundings, the weather is following suit.

2 comments:

  1. I'm reading this as if it were one of those olden day books that they would publish in newspapers in installments. I read it and I'm like "ahhh tell me more!" But I have to tune in next time/ read the next entry to see what happens. It's so fun! You should feel honored that I'm dying to read this because you know how I feel about reading. :) Erin Go Braugh... I'm just going to keep saying that since its the only Irish thing I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pic! When I was in Deutschland, a friend of mine pointed to the fog one day and said, "Very froggy. It is very froggy." So, great frog pic, Kayla.
    Admissions received your card today. We hope to get one next week with the St. Louis arch on it, and after that, maybe one with the Great Wall.
    Have fun and be safe!
    -Jodee

    ReplyDelete