Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A Growing Love

It is evident after three days in Ireland that the Irish live a very different lifestyle than in the States

I'm not going to lie; the first day here was probably the biggest culture shock I've ever had in my life. Now, granted, I have not been to many places outside of my home country, but still... it was hard.

First of all, Irish people have a very different attitude about things. Sexuality, separations of the sexes, and likewise is not a big issue. Phillip was placed with three female roommates and no one saw the problem whatsoever. Although things have been settled and the situation is fine now, it is still not something that would be encountered at home. Even at state schools there is a separation between the sexes somewhat.

Also, it seems that the Irish are much more friendly and personable people. I don't mean to hate on the Americans, but the Irish are always willing to help out. From our very first day, each Irish person we've encountered has been nice and helpful. The nicest one we've interacted with was Ron, our maintenance man in our apartment complex. He brought us free Ethernet cables, extra light bulbs, and the instructions for living at City Campus, as well of a few tips of his own. Ron was our shining light on our first day (which, by the way, was awful and seemed never-ending).

Have no fear; things have improved dramatically since Monday.

On Monday, I was so overwhelmed and was so unsure of what I've gotten myself in to. My cellphone wasn't working, our Internet wasn't working, and things just seemed to be going wrong all day. All I wanted to do was peacefully move into my apartment, get some fish and chips, and enjoy the Irish way of life.... and that is certainly not what happened.

Today, just a few days later, things have gotten so much better. With a stocked refrigerator of food, beer, and wine, a kitchen that is actually workable with all the utensils, and some familiarity with the city, I'm feeling so much more confident with the rest of my semester here. I've still yet to get roommates, but that is okay with me thus far. I'm still moving into my own room and getting used to the Irish way of things. (Everything has several buttons and switches just to get it running...) Roommates, and friends for that matter, will come with time.

Everyone says the first week is the hardest, and I think that is definitely true. These past few days, even thus far, have certainly had ups and downs each day. Yet, each day also gets a little bit better. Just in these three days, I've begun to feel confident with the city and apartment layout, and I do not feel like a tourist.

I only expect things to improve. Today was a wonderful day of exploration and acclamation into the city. We found our church(which, by the way, is absolutely beautiful), we found our school, and we officially became short term immigrants by registering with the Garda (police). Tomorrow will be a day of running errands and exploring some more and Friday we get to meet the other 28 International Students who are beginning at Mary I this semester. I'm very much looking forward to meeting them and finding people here who can relate to what we're going through.

Things are looking up for us and we are beginning to enjoy each minute of it, although that was not the case originally. Because of our misfortune, as well as negative outlook on Monday, it took until our second day to finally go to the Pub and have our first Guinness here. As everyone says, it is better here than at home. :) We went to Glen's Tavern in the heart of Limerick and paid four euros each for our official welcome to Ireland.

We loved it and we're beginning to love Ireland too.

6 comments:

  1. I have to say that I love that you're doing this blog and I'm going to live vicariously through you for the next few months. I love your observation of how nice Irish people are. One of the best things anyone ever said to me in Ireland came from a crazy Limerick cabbie who said "Irish people are not nice, they are just nosy." Hilarious if you think about it, but I'm so glad you're beginning to experience the real Ireland!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! :) I love the picture!!! And rehearing/reading what has happened thus far! I'm also glad the police know of your existence in Ireland.
    Kayla - you win! I knew you would be the better blogger! :-P
    Can't wait to hear/read more!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Glad it's getting better :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megan, that is a ifferent way to view things. haha Well if their nosiness assissts me along the way, that is more than okay!

    Sam, to be fair, Phillip has not had time to blog yet. Give him a chance and he will probably beat me out :) I'm glad you're enjoying reading it though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So Phil has 3 female flatmates? It sounds like our poor James...and James was just a quiet, shy Irish guy who had no idea they were going to stick him with 3 loud American girls who sing a lot :-) But seriously, I'm glad you guys are starting to get settled and comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jealousy!!!!! But I am so glad things are going well. I want to leave now after reading your blog. :) And I have also heard like the 3rd week is really hard too...idk. Have fun girl! Drink a Guinness for me! :)

    ReplyDelete