Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Scandolous Scholastics

I'll be honest, I don't know how the Irish do it.

This school thing is so different than home, it boggles my mind. Sure, I expected things to be a bit different and to struggle in certain areas, but the places where the strict and lax are different are so befuddling it amazes me.

At Orientation, we were told we had two weeks to decide on four or five classes to take. During these two weeks, we were to sit in on any and all classes we were interested in until we decided. While it is a good idea to allow your International Students to decide what to take after seeing what the class is going to be like, its also extremely stressful. Although there is little to no homework for most classes, just figuring out the lecture times and places is a headache. No class is at the same time each time it is held, and often the room changes too. For example, Irish Heritage is a 3 on Mondays, 1 on Wednesdays, and 10 on Fridays and is held in three different rooms as well. It makes me wonder how anyone keeps their schedule straight!

In addition to lectures, where interaction and discussion should be kept to a bare minimum, some classes have tutorials. The tutorials become essential because no class is under 60 people. Even my math classes (which is maths here), there are over 60 people, a class size which could be considered small. Mary Immaculate is not a big college by any means and when we talk to students, they complain, or at least comment, on the small size (of about 3000 students). Thomas More is less than half the size of this, so this is quite the jump for me. Double the people and at least double the class size (if not more), its quite overwhelming.

If you think, though, that keeping the class schedule would be the most draining, you're wrong. It is the accent and vocabulary of the Irish professors. Although it is the same technical language, it becomes very exhausting constantly deciphering lectures. Often times lecturers go too fast for their own students, much less an International Student. (I am so thankful that I speak English though! I don't know how the other European Internationals are doing it!)

Needless to say, once a class day is over, I'm beat. Staying in for the night is often the only option I can take at that point. The Irish think otherwise though. The average Irish student in Limerick goes out Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday night! Yes, that is three schools nights each week. Some people don't even stop there. They go out the other nights of the week as well.

There is no way I can keep up with that, mentally, physically, or financially. Going out here usually doesn't mean just going to a pub either. It means pre-gaming in an apartment until late, usually leaving no earlier than 11, and then going to one of the many dance clubs until the early hours of the morning. Kudos to them for being able to go out until 3am and then get up for a 9am class in the morning (sometimes)! I certainly cannot and probably will not do it.

Thankfully after three exhausting days of class and no nights of going out, I've decided what I'll be taking this semester. I've decided on two mathematics courses: Introduction to Statistics and Abstract Algebra. My other two courses are Gaelic (Irish Language) and Irish Heritage: Art and Architecture. I'm glad to have this part of the semester over with. Now I just need to make it all official.


Aftermath of a party Sunday: A Broken Glass in the Stairwell of Phillip's Apartment. (Its still there, three days later.)

3 comments:

  1. that sounds crazy! it makes me tired just thinking about it! maybe that's why europeans are so thin. i should look into it. Lol :) you'll have to teach me some gaelic too!! and Fun fact i just realized. I'm gonna be in Listowel when i come over, which is like 30-40 min from limerick. im coming to visit! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. O thats great Chels! I'll have to come visit your town and school too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who are the professors of your classes?

    ReplyDelete