Thursday, March 18, 2010

Home, Sweet Home (for now)

Never in my entire life have I been happier to be in Limerick than I was last Saturday. Following a four day trip to Paris, I was exhausted, a bit tired of French, and mostly just wanted to be back in a comfort zone.

It is interesting that Limerick has become that for me, a comfort zone.

Travelling is wonderful, and Paris was a great time, but it is always nice to return home. Finally, we've grown into calling this place home (for now). Don't get offended America, you're my really home, but I needed somewhere to take your place for awhile and Limerick is doing a fine job.

It was a long, slow, and a bit rocky process, but we've made it here. I love Limerick and wouldn't trade this all for the world. We are to the point where the city feels like ours. We know our way around and we've assimilated well. Unfortunately, the only thing that makes us stand out is our accent, a nuisance most of the time.

It is strange to me that in ways, my trip is now on the downswing. Don't get me wrong; in many ways, it is still on the rise with all the travelling left (Belgium is this weekend) and visitors to come. Yet, it is now officially halfway over and Saint Patrick's Day was the best way it could have been marked ever.

St. Pat's certainly is NOT a tourist holiday here. Yes, there are lots of tourists, but all the Irish come out to celebrate... and believe me, they celebrate it right.

The party begins the weekend before almost everywhere in Ireland. In Limerick, they have fireworks on Saturday and an International Marching Band Parade on Sunday. Those are just the in-city festivities though. Horse racing begins as a major sport and there are other minor competitions as well.

The weekend party though is nothing in comparison to the party on St. Patrick's Day.

We began our day with a parade on O'Connell Street, the main drag of Limerick. The five of us, and our 60,000 closest friends, packed the street to see the spectacle. [To be completely honest, the spectacle wasn't fantastic, but it was a great start to the day.] After an almost 3 hour long parade, we indulged in some Irish food before heading to the bar.

At Smyth's, the first place we went to, the ages ranged from infant to infinity. (Okay, so that's a bit drastic.... but there were babies, toddlers, and elderly alike.) Free Beer, the band, played some traditional music and some traditional spins on some classics. After that we headed to a quieter pub for some acoustic music and pints all around.

The music couldn't have been better, the company was wonderful, and the pints were delicious. After about twelve hours or being out for the day, Phillip and I were full of St. Patrick's cheer and headed back to the apartments for the night.

It is hard to really put to words just how wonderful yesterday was. No description will do the day justice. It is bittersweet to think that I may never again have the chance to celebrate Saint Pat's the proper way (in Ireland) again... but as Phillip's sister told me, I'll always have the memory of it.

It was by far the best way to mark the halfway point of this wonderful experience. A true Irish celebration for a girl who truly loves the Irish.

Phillip and I at Smyth's on St Pat's Day celebrating halfway through our trip.

2 comments:

  1. HAHAHA! Phillip has squinty eyes! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kayla,
    Glad you were able to spend St. Patrick's Day in Ireland. My grandkids always love the day - a chance to parade with their mates and just have fun. (At ages 12, 7 and 5, they're a little young for beer, though, as you point out, it's not big deal for them to go to pubs.)
    Love your blog - I never miss reading it.

    ReplyDelete