Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Appreciation

Webster defines appreciation as a 'sensitive awareness' or 'recognition of aesthetic value'.

Appreciation is almost a new-found virtue for me here. Sure, I've always appreciated the people in my life, my country, and my life, but it all has come to new extremes here as I see not only the great things about my life but the shortcomings as well.

This past weekend though the appreciation was not focused on life back home. Instead it fell in the beauty, the history, and the culture that London entailed, and it made me wonder 'Do the people of London really appreciate the city they live in?'

Phillip and I spent two wonderful days in London and saw all that we could fit into our 36 hour visit. It was not only beautiful weather, but the city itself was beautiful too. The architecture was various and magnificent... from the very old to the very modern. The history was full and the folklore, even fuller.

But over time, I could imagine that you become desensitized to these things. When you go for a run in Hyde Park, would you really think about how it used to be a hunting ground for the king? Would you appreciate the largest man-made lake in all of London? Would it occur to you that you are running on Royal ground? It is doubtful.

Walking through London was wonderful. We got to see the entire city via an open-top tour bus, we heard Big Ben ring, and ate some good fish and chips. We met a few good friends for dinner and London Eye, and then afterwards, we went out to experience the nightlife that is London. We stayed in a hostel for our very first time, saw where Princess Diana used to live, and had a front row seat to The Changing of the Guard. We appreciated each second of it; we had a sensitive awareness of the experience, the city, the life that is London.

This though made me wonder what I've been desensitized to in my own homeland. I feel like this is one of the biggest things I will experience when I get home: an appreciation not only to be there, but an appreciation for the history, the beauty and the architecture that is Kentucky, Cincinnati, and essentially, my home.

I hope I begin to have a sensitive awareness of all that is around me, both during the rest of my two months here in Europe, but that it continues when I return to the familiar of home as well. For now though, I will spend the next month appreciating Paris, Brussels, and Liverpool, along with St. Patty's Day in Limerick and every experience this all entails.

Phillip and I with the London Eye and the South Side of London.

No comments:

Post a Comment