Wednesday, March 24, 2010

American Politics Abroad

Before we left for Europe, Phillip's cousin gave us a word of advice - 'Don't talk religion or politics abroad'.

Although great advice, I'm finding it hard to live by that completely. The religion part has been relatively easy, especially here in the Republic of Ireland. We're Catholic; they're Catholic. It works. But in the heat of this Health Care mess, for lack of a better phrase, I find that I want to know what Europe's view on it all is.

Since we've been in Ireland, I cannot remember hearing anything about the Irish government. If we hear anything about a European government, it is the British government and how they all steal money from it. Otherwise, issues aren't really raised.

When it comes to health care, it seems to vary by country across Europe. France is a socialized system; Ireland is not completely. Moreover though, I'm interested in what Europeans think of the United States and our government.

At home, we're hit over the head with politics, scandals, and media. Here, that just isn't the story. If anything, they hear about our problems, laws, scandals, and victories. Honestly, I haven't really asked about what my roommates or other Irish think of American politics, but I have a feeling that they don't really care a whole lot.

That's not to say a few don't have their opinions though. My Irish professor bluntly asked who supported Obama in one of our very first classes. All the Americans were shocked and unsure what to say. Do we say we love/hate him and chance that our professor is the opposite? All of us stayed quiet. Our teacher was slightly shocked we didn't all jump on the opportunity to talk about our home politics, our new president, and what we thought of him.

For now though, I have to rely on others to keep me updated and try to read up on what is going on. It is hard to believe everything you read on the Internet, but that is about all I've got at this point. Hopefully when I get home, the health care problems have settled and are being dealt with properly. I'd rather not return home to a civil war over something like health care.

I'm not trying to make this political, say what I think is right/wrong, or begin any kind of debate. I just think the European approach is interesting and very diverse as a whole. They don't hear about their own politics as much as they've heard about ours and it seems they have quite a warped view when it comes to what Americans think about their own politics. We're all extreme, fired up to either rally behind or revolt against each new law, new politician, new idea. I guess that is how any media is though, regardless of the country, only showing the extremes- and even then, usually the bad extremes.

Phillip and I with our most recent visitor, Flat Stanley. He didn't bring us any news of politics though.

2 comments:

  1. I like your perspective as well as the Europeans'. All this emotion is just driving me insane. I just want everyone (in our age group) to accept that who they support is 99% dictated by who their parents support. I'm tired of my friends fighting with each other using beliefs that they incidentally grew up with. It's a waste of energy. Why look for reasons to be angry when you can just as easily find reasons to love each other?

    (Wow, that makes a lot of sense! Thanks Peter)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All you need is love Peter :D

    ReplyDelete