Thursday, February 25, 2010

RAG Week: A Reflection

RAG Week is such an interesting concept in Ireland and one that is completely foreign to any, well, foreigners.

For a whole week the school sponsors activities, both at the school and at night clubs/bars... all to raise money for charity. Students drink while walking to class (if they go at all), drink after class in the school's lounge, and then go out that night and drink more. Can you ever imagine an American school sponsoring such an event???

While it would probably not happen because so many more students drive in most American colleges compared to those in Ireland, it is insane the amount of liability they must have to take. This week, though, accumulates most of the school's sponsored activities and they all have alcohol involved. Go Irish! (I guess.)

To be honest, this would be so much fun if it were with my own friends. As much as I love my flatmates and I am getting along with the other Internationals, it simply isn't the same when it isn't accompanied by your best friends from home. The clubs aren't my scene mostly, but with my good friends, I could do it more. Here it is only fun if its all my flatmates or a group of Internationals are going.

This though reflects the hardest part of Ireland for me personally. I am so used to my small school, my good friends, and other great people surrounding me constantly at school. Almost all my classes are filled with people I know and I certainly know all the faculty and staff on a more personal basis. People know me, and I know them.

Here I'm just the American girl that takes Mathematics classes.

People are nice in my classes, but I don't know them. The professors are understanding and great, but they aren't my professors that know me on such a different level.... and I certainly do not know 75% of the student body here.

It would be a little different if my accent, or my professors for that matter, didn't point me out on a regular basis. My Stats professor just loves to ask how things are in America. Today I faced a 15 word spelling test rectifying the differences between Irish spelling and American spelling (including words like center, tires, color, recognize, etc)... and this was in Math class! It is not only slight humiliating, but it also makes me feel like the people in my class think I'm just the little show-off American who thinks she does it better than the Irish.

I'm not here to stand out; I'm here to try to assimilate as best I can, and these professors certainly aren't helping.

Mary I has made me so grateful for Thomas More and my position within the school. We might not have RAG weeks full of sanctioned skipping classes, drinking in the lounge on campus, and nights at the club, but I love it just the same. It is all part of the experience here and just because it is difficult not knowing as many people or having my comforts of my own school isn't to say it is bad.

The experience is wonderful and enlightening in so many ways.
There are some things you just don't realize until you take a step back.

I'm very lucky and certainly very grateful for it all, even the small and different things. I'm sure that feeling will only grow as my experiences here expand further as well.

Phillip and I in the Lounge enjoying our indulgences of RAG Week.

No comments:

Post a Comment