Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Land of the Free and Home of the Brave

Watching the Super Bowl last Sunday was such a different experience from Ireland. The commentary was done by a British broadcaster and two Americans who are involved in football but are ultimately washed up in the game. The pre-game show was used to explain the sport and you should just forget about seeing traditional American commercials during the game. The commentary only continued in between plays to explain what was going on and what the two Americans thought of the teams and the plays the were using. Phillip and I had two of our American friends over to watch the game as we enjoyed chili dip, chips, pizza, and American beer.

Yet, it certainly was not the American experience. I actually appreciated the theatrics of the half-time show and the other little bits of the American version we got to see on TV. We had to try to YouTube commercials between plays and for the most part, failed miserably. Now I have to catch up on my commericals between classes and during some free time at night, battling with the slow Internet at City Campus.

But really, I can't complain too much. We had a great time trying to Americanize the non-American way of showing the game. It is not even like I'm a huge football fan, but the Super Bowl is ours at home. We eat more food than Thanksgiving, look forward to the commericals more than the game, and spend half the time talking to friends and the other half yelling at the TV.

It makes me miss America. I've never heard our national anthem on TV before and felt so patriotic. I could've cried just seeing a bald eagle as patriotic songs were sung. It was touching as both teams held their ground and their hearts through it all.

I've never really appreciated the show our sports are rather than the game they derive from. You just don't realize it for the most part, or you do realize it and you find it to be a nuisance.

We don't talk religion and we certainly do not talk politics with the Irish, and yet it is interesting to see how affected they are in their everyday lives by America. Its so interesting to hear their opinions on the average American, even though it may often be offensive.

Most opinions I've heard from my professors involved guns and how we go around shooting each other all the time. When was the last time you and your friends took a gun out to just play around and shoot each other? It seems like they think violence terrorizes each street corner.

The youth mainly focus on our media. They know all of our celebrities. They watch all of our shows. They see all of our movies. [Trust me though, you would too if your only other option was Irish TV and movies.] It is even to the point where my roommate said she can easily understand my accent because she watches TV so frequently.

Ultimately though, it makes me miss the States, in a good way. When we were leaving, it was time to leave. I was sick of politics, the American way, and the media. Yet now I crave to know what is going on without having to try to find out. It makes me appreciate our country and the way it all just is there.

In three and a half months, when I return, I not only will have the wonderful experience I've gained here under my belt, but also a new found appreciation for our country, our politics, our way of living. Being here does make me proud to be an American.

Go Saints! I was glad to see them win and I'm pretty certain pouring Gatorade on your coach after a big win is just an American Tradition! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment