Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Opposite Side

Have you ever walked on the opposite side of the road than you normally do?

Today I did just that on my way to school. Walking on the other side of a road you travel frequently changes the perspective of what you see. As you begin on the opposite side, you wonder why you decided to do this, to stray from the norm. Yet as you go on, your mind changes bit. You pay attention to different things than normal; you notice new things, gain a greater appreciation for the old, and can more accurately describe the side you normally go on. Afterwards you think, well maybe walking on the other side of the road every once in awhile may not be a bad idea.

I feel like that is just what I am doing here in Ireland, walking on the other side of the road.

When I arrived here, I was ready to go home. This new and different experience seemed like it wasn't weighing up to what I thought it was going to be. Why did I decide to do this, to stray from the norm? I was in a new school, a new city, a different country, and across an ocean. How did I ever think that was a good idea?

Yet, as time has gone on, be only a little over two weeks, Ive started to gain a greater appreciation for the experience.

The new school, Mary Immaculate, makes me appreciate Thomas More, the role it plays in my life, and the role I play within it. The faculty, staff, and students are more than I could ever need in a school and I love it. Sometimes you don't realize how lucky you are until you don't have it anymore. I miss it some days, but it is a good kind of miss.

The new city, Limerick, makes me appreciate the Tri-State. With so much to do, besides just going to a pub or a club, it hard to imagine that I've ever had trouble finding something to do there. The new country makes me love my own more. When I send mail, writing USA on the address lines gives me a sense of pride. Ireland is great, but the USA is greater [especially if you like to own guns, which is quite the hot topic here].

I've also been able to appreciate new experiences. Things as simple as having to walk everywhere are a nice stray from the norm of the tri-state area. There's only foot traffic for me here, and its rather nice. Phillip and I also make all of our meals ourselves, a nice change from TMC cafeteria food. Living with three Irish girls helps expand my vocabulary, my knowledge of culture, and, all in all, they're just three great people. Best of all though, I can REALLY appreciate the ease of travel here. Hopping over to Dublin, London, Brussels, or France doesn't take a whole lot here.

Mostly though, it has given me an outside perspective of my own life at home. In a conversation with my roommates, I often find myself having to more accurately describe things, explaining what the meaning of one word at home may be in comparison to what it means here. Some terms end up being confusing and our concepts of things like dating, school, and life in general are not the same.

Just because we call something normal at home, doesn't mean it actually is. It doesn't make it right or wrong; its all just different. I don't mind living a different life here though, walking on the other side of the road.

In the end, some of my thoughts, perspectives,and opinions will have certainly changed. Maybe change isn't the right word though. A better word would be growth. My thoughts, perspectives, and opinions will have grown.

...and ultimately, when its all over a few months from now, I think I'll try to walk on the other side of the road a bit more frequently.

No comments:

Post a Comment